Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!
Top [Seven] Books I Almost Put Down But Didn’t
This was a particularly difficult topic for me as I’m pretty good at gaging what I’ll like and dislike when it comes to books, but I am one to finish a book even when I’m not enjoying it. Here are some books that I almost stopped reading, but finished anyway!
- Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer – For me, a post-apocalyptic book should be anything but boring. But I was bored stiff reading this book. I was really close to putting it down, but the fact that I was going to be meeting the author soon made me finish. Still didn’t like it by the end, though.
- A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin – Yes, I was about to put this book down after only about 200 pages. I did, actually, but I came back to it, THANKFULLY. This is one of my all time favorite series now, so coming back to it was so worth it. I don’t know what would have happened if I never picked it back up, but man would I be missing out!
- Moonglass by Jessi Kirby – This was another book where I was just plain bored. Not much happened but it was short so I ended up finishing it.
- The Memory of After by Lenore Appelhans – I had really mixed feelings regarding this book, but I found it strange, and not in a good way. It dragged in a lot of places, I didn’t like the characters. It was just a really “meh” book for me.
- Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman – This one started strong, but as I continued reading I began to lose interest more and more. Not that it wasn’t a well written book, but I think I was expecting a more fast-paced thriller kind of book, which is not what I got.
- Neptune’s Tears by Susan Waggoner – Ugh, I hated this book. It was just all over awful. The lack of pretty much everything made this book a pain to read. (I hope I’m not offending anyone here.) It was waaay too short to be a well-developed sci-fi book, but I finished it since I had a review copy.
- White Space by Ilsa J. Bick – I was wary to continue with this one because got pretty confused while reading. I enjoyed the book but I wasn’t sure I totally got what was happening 100% of the time because it was almost TOO fast-paced. I did finish it out though, and ended up enjoying it.
- BONUS: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien – Unfortunately, I didn’t get through this one, hence why it’s a BONUS. I know that I should have finished it and I SHOULD have LOVED it, but I just couldn’t get through the beginning. I really wanted to love it as much as everyone else but I just couldn’t. I know, I’m an awful person.
So, what books did you almost put down but end up finishing? Was it worth it? Let me know in the comments!